Post-Secondary Enrollment Options (PSEO)
Students can get a jump start on earning college credits by taking college courses while they are still in high school through Minnesota's PSEO program. This program allows students to take college courses tuition free, saving both time and money on completing a college degree. PSEO courses may also fulfill high school course requirements and count toward a high school diploma.
If you are interested in PSEO, talk to your high school guidance counselor or go to the Minnesota State PSEO Information webpage. Local school districts need to be notified by May 1st before fall semester starts. See below for ICC's PSEO application deadline dated for fall and spring semester.
You must be a high school sophomore (special restrictions apply - see below), junior or senior at a public school, nonpublic school or home school.
- You cannot be classified as a full-time student at your high school.
- Seniors must have a minimum cumulative end of the year GPA of 3.00. Juniors must have a minimum cumulative end of the year GPA of 3.20. This is for all high school work (grades 9, 10, 11, and 12) completed prior to enrolling at Itasca. Sophomores must pass the 8th grade MCA reading test and meet the prerequisites of the course(s) for which you want to register. See list of eligible technical courses for 10th grade students at the bottom of this page.
- Students must test into college classes numbered 1000 or above on placement test in reading, English and math (if you are taking your math course at ICC). While under the PSEO program, students may not enroll in classes below 1000, non-PSEO and summer courses.
PSEO Student Deadlines
Fall Semester 2019 Final Deadline: June 7, 2019*
*Test & Paperwork Deadlines are earlier for earlier registration sessions (see schedule below).
Spring Semester 2020 Deadline: TBD (December 2019)
Testing and Paperwork Must Be Submitted By This Date
Students must have completed and submitted the following to the ICC Student Services Office by 4:00 pm on the deadline date for each registration session listed below in order to register for classes as a PSEO student.
- ICC Application (online)
- Notice of Student Registration Form
- Verification Form
- Immunization Form (homeschool students only) - Available on Student Forms page under Admissions.
- Accuplacer assessment test and any retest results (students are able to retest once), or provide qualifying ACT scores (English 18, Reading 21 and Math 22) or MCA scores (1158 11th Grade Math, MCA Reading not currently accepted)
Admission Procedure Checklist
- Complete and submit Itasca's Online Application, Verification form, and Notice of Student Registration form (along with your high school transcript) to the Student Services Office in 107 Backes Hall or to ICC Student Services, 1851 East Highway 169, Grand Rapids, MN 55744. Homeschool students must also complete and submit the Immunization form (available on Student Forms page under Admissions).
Must be completed and submitted by deadline listed above.
- Schedule a date to take the required assessment test by the deadline date listed below, unless you have qualifying ACT, SAT or MCA scores (listed above). Assessment results will determine your course placement. If an overall need for development coursework is indicated, enrollment in college level courses will be denied. Students may retest only once during the academic year.
Must be completed and submitted by deadline listed above.
- Schedule and attend a PSEO Registration Session (if you did not already sign-up for one when you scheduled your assessment test). PSEO students must attend a registration session. Fall 2019 registration session dates and their corresponding paperwork deadlines are listed below.
Fall Semester 2019 PSEO Registration Sessions
|Registration Date||Registration Time||Location||Test & Paperwork Deadline|
|Tuesday, April 16||3:00 PM||Backes Hall 15||Tuesday, April 9|
|Wednesday, May 22||3:00 PM||Backes Hall 15||Tuesday, May 14|
|Thursday, June 6||10:00 AM or 1:00 PM||Davies Hall 233||Friday, May 31|
|Thursday, June 20||10:00 AM||Backes Hall 15||Friday, June 7|
Questions: Questions about PSEO eligibility or the application process should be directed to Becky Niemi, ICC Counselor at 218-322-2321.
Criteria for Continuing as a PSEO Student
To continue at Itasca as a PSEO student, you must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.00. Students will be required to complete an ICC Academic Verification form and turn it into their ICC counselor prior to registering for the next semester. If your cumulative GPA falls below 2.00, you will automatically be suspended from Itasca Community College. An appeals process is in place for all students.
|Course Number||Course Name|
|Engl 0091||Fundamentals of Written English|
|Fort 1398||Wildland Firefighting|
|Genl 1140||Leadership Enhancement|
|Hum 1208||International Travel Experience|
|MasC 1301||Intro to Digital Photography|
|Math 0092||Elementary Algebra|
|Math 0093||Intermediate Algebra|
|Math 0094||Functions 1|
|Math 0199||STEM Math|
|Musc 1191||Applied Music I|
|Musc 1192||Applied Music II|
|Musc 2191||Applied Music III|
|Musc 2192||Applied Music IV|
|NSci 1199||BWCA Trip|
|PE 1101||Cross Country Skiing|
|PE 1102||Downhill Skiing|
|PE 1105||Bowling and Curling|
|PE 1130||Outdoor Adventure|
|PE 1131||Camping Skills|
|PE 1211||Care and Prevention|
|Coop Ed||All courses|
2199 Courses from all subject areas may be designated as non-PSEO by term. Please consult with the Student Services Office prior to registration.
Technical Course Options
Students who are interested in technical courses may take one technical college level course taught on a college campus as early as grade 10. To be eligible to do so, they must be enrolled in a public school, have a minimum of a "proficient" score on the 8th grade Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA) test for reading and meet the assessment prerequisites set for the course that must be met by all students. If a student successfully completes the technical course with a C or higher, the student can take additional technical courses as long as he or she meets the assessment requirements for those courses.
High school students enrolled under the Postsecondary Enrollment Options program at another Minnesota State College or University must complete the application and admissions process for PSEO students at ICC. Failure to complete the PSEO application process prior to registering for classes will obligate you for all unpaid balances relating to the courses for which you register. Contact the Admissions Office at this school for more information.