Location & Hours
Support Within Reach (SWR)
Bringing Sexual Violence Support Services on Campus within Reach
Support Within Reach is a collaborative effort between Itasca Community College (ICC) and Support Within Reach Sexual Violence Resource Center. Our mission is to enhance the campus community's awareness, understanding, safety, and accountability regarding sexual violence, sexual harassment, and stalking.
Sexual violence encompasses any unwanted sexual contact and includes rape, sexual abuse, incest, molestation, date rape, drug facilitated/induced sexual assault, intimate partner rape, same gender assault, sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, stalking, exposing, obscene phone calls, internet related crimes, and child pornography.
Support Within Reach - Program Goals:
- Provide on-site services including 24 hour crisis-line, one-to-one support, medical legal advocacy, & referral.
- Provide awareness and education related to issues surrounding sexual violence to students, faculty and staff; including special campus groups, clubs and student organizations.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer for the Support Within Reach program contact Support Within Reach by stopping in our campus office or calling the main office at 218-326-5008. Those interested in volunteer opportunities must successfully complete a 40 hour sexual assault advocate training provided by SWR, as well as complete a thorough background check.
Volunteer Opportunities Include:
- After-hours crisis-line
- On-site office coverage
- Program awareness
- Prevention education to students, staff, and faculty
Support Within Reach (SWR) is a small non-profit organization that has been in existence since 1989. SWR provides support and advocacy services to those who have experience sexual violence directly or indirectly. Trained sexual assault advocates (staff & volunteers) are available 24-hours a day. Advocates assist victims and their loved ones by providing options, information, and emotional support. SWR services are free and confidential.
Agency Contact Information
Support Within Reach
9 Willow Lane
Grand Rapids, MN 55744
Phone: 218-326-5008 or 1-866-747-5008
Currently Looking for Volunteers! Stop by W131 to Apply
Position title: Sexual Violence Volunteer Advocate
Hours Per Month: 30 (2 shifts)
Job Summary: Volunteer Advocates help support SWR's mission and goals by providing support services and community awareness in Itasca and Aitkin Counties.
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator
Areas of Responsibility
Ethical & Professional Behavior
- Represent agency's mission and values with those you interact with in your professional role.
- Maintain a respectful, non-judgmental demeanor towards clients.
- Maintain client confidentiality, when client/case requires sharing of client/case information obtain appropriate signed releases for each case.
- Provide compassionate and empathetic services while maintaining clear professional relationship boundaries.
- Comply with mandatory reporting and client confidentiality criteria as defined by law.
- Attend all relevant volunteer meetings and other meetings as requested.
- Complete all necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
- Serve on-call a minimum of 2 over night shifts per month, one weekend every 4 months, and one holiday per year.
- Provide crisis intervention/basic counseling via after hours crisis line.
- Accompany victims through the reporting process at the emergency room and law enforcement interviews.
- Adhere to reporting requirements for clients. This includes complying with mandatory reporting as defined by law.
- Provide information and referrals to clients and callers.
- Collect and record client data.
- Maintain confidentiality of clients and advocates.
- Respond to clients in a professional and supportive manner.
- Complete pre and post shift check-in.
- Comply with SWR policies and philosophy.
- Participate in Support Within Reach community awareness activities (ie. Mexican Fiesta, Walk a Mile in Her Shoes, Sexual Assault Awareness Month, Itasca County Fair Booth, etc.)
- Provide in office support at either the Support Within Reach or Itasca Community College office.
- Support group facilitation
- Assist with filing of HRO/OFP's
- Board membership
- All potential volunteers must submit an application, go through at least one interview, an initial criminal background study (yearly thereafter), and a reference check before training.
- Must be at least 18 years old in order to provide direct services to victims of sexual violence.
- Successful completion of 40 hour training provided by SER prior to volunteering/working with clients.
- A philosophy of non-violence and non-discrimination. The ability to work with people of different economic and cultural backgrounds; acceptance of cultural, racial, religious, age, ability, and affection differences between people.
- No history of sexual exploitive behavior, sexual violence, or other related offense.
- No recent issues related to sexual violence that would keep you from effectively assisting victims of sexual violence and/or provide a conflict of interest for the agency.
- Commitment to active service for a minimum of one year.
- Must have a valid Minnesota driver's license and own working vehicle.
- Must be able to make a one year commitment.
- Must complete 12 hours of continuing education per year (includes volunteer meetings, webinars, office coverage and hands on calls).