Student Basic Needs Resources

Itasca Community College is committed to providing excellent educational opportunities to the communities it serves. We recognize basic needs — including things like food, housing and transportation — can have a direct impact on the well-being and success of our students. To assist our community in meeting these needs, we’ve compiled the resources below. The information will be revised when appropriate and evolve as necessary.

If you have any questions about the resources below our would like assistance connecting with them, please contact one of Itasca Community College's counselors, listed below, or stop in to the TRIO/Student Support Services office in Backes Hall.

Counselor Contact

Counselor Contact

Food Resources

Itasca Food Pantry

The Itasca Food Pantry is open Tuesdays and Thursdays on Itasca’s campus.

  • Open to all Itasca students.
  • No proof of income required.
  • See Student Support Services for more information.

Community Café

The Community Café provides a free three-course meal at two Itasca County locations every Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30-6:30 p.m. The Community Café meals are available to anyone who is need. There are no income or financial qualifications for a free meal.

Grand Rapids Location:

Keisler Wellness Center
3130 SE 2nd Ave.
Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Deer River Location:

King School
500 5th Street SE
Deer River, MN56636

Second Harvest Food Shelf

The Second Harvest Food Shelf provides hunger relief for people living in Grand Rapids and the surrounding area. People who need help with food can come to the food shelf during open hours. A brief intake process records information on address, number of people in the household and household income. Volunteers help participants choose from available food in appropriate amounts for the family size. The foods available change constantly but often include canned soups and vegetables, cereal, produce, breads, meat and dairy.

Food Shelf Hours:
Monday-Thursday 11:00am to 3:30pm

Housing Resources

Are you looking for shelter? Affordable housing? Are you fleeing domestic violence? Do you need assistance to prevent an eviction or help with move-in costs? Call 2-1-1. They can assess your situation and connect you with resources that may be able to help.

Grace House

Grace House is a nonprofit organization that provides safe, temporary shelter for people experiencing homelessness. Grace House guests may stay at the shelter for up to 30 days if needed to focus on developing life and job skills that enable them to become more self-sufficient in the community. The shelter is equipped with an on-site mini resources center where guests can access employment and housing opportunities.

Contact Information: Phone: 218-326-2790 or

Kootasca Crisis Rent Assistance

The State of Minnesota requires individuals and families seeking assistance to prevent homelessness to use a Homeless Crisis Response System, also called Coordinated Entry in Itasca County. The first step is to contact First Call for Help at 218.326.8565 to request a Coordinated Entry Assessment (phone interview). After completing the assessment, the participant will be scheduled to meet with a housing service provider to receive a more in-depth assessment. That information will be used to determine priority and eligibility status for various housing programs.

Contact by Email:

Kootasca Energy Assistance Program

Kootasca Energy Assistance Program provides financial assistance to pay a portion of an income-qualified household’s energy and heating bills. Kootasca Weatherization program provides free home energy upgrades to income eligible homeowners and renters.

D.W. Jones Management, Inc.

D.W. Jones Management, Inc. offers a wide variety of housing styles, locations and options to suit your needs. Website has information about several housing opportunities in the Grand Rapids area (market rate, supportive, and elderly housing).

Itasca County Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA)

Itasca County Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA) offers affordable housing opportunities to eligible individuals in Itasca County. Services may include rental subsidies, public housing for low income, elderly, and persons with disabilities or mental illness. HRA also provides housing vouchers, and offers rental assistance to qualified individuals.

Contact: Website: Phone:218-326-7978

Transportation Resources

Arrowhead Transit

Arrowhead Transit provides bus rides in Itasca County and the Grand Rapids area.

Dial-A-Ride: 800-862-0175 Select Option #4
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions:

Rapid Taxi

Local Grand Rapids taxi service.

Contact: 218-999-9318

Childcare Resources

Itasca Community College Post-Secondary Child Care Grant

  • Awarded to Minnesota residents who need help with child care expenses.
  • Must be enrolled in at least one credit and have FAFSA results on file.
  • Awards are determined by enrollment level and applicant's EFC (Expected Family Contribution)
  • Funding is limited, applications are processed in the order they are COMPLETED.
  • Must not have attended the equivalent of more than ten full-time semesters.
  • Must be working toward an aid eligible degree, certificate, or diploma at ICC
  • Maximum award per year, per child has increased from $3000 to $6500 beginning fall 2021 (prorated for enrollment and EFC levels)
  • The Blandin Foundation provides additional funding for this grant once State funds have been exhausted.

Application due by August 15th each year.

Emergency Grants

Itasca Community College Emergency Loan

Itasca Community College offers an emergency loan, up to $450, for students with expenses that are hindering their ability to meet educational requirements.

  • This loan is only available to students who are waiting for their financial aid to be disbursed.
  • Students must work with an advisor or counselor when applying.

Emergency Loan Application

Itasca Community College Emergency Grant

Itasca Community College offers an emergency grant (subject to funds availability) to provide short-term relief to cover urgent and unexpected expenses impacting the student’s ability to attend ICC.

  • Grant applicants must have already received a financial aid disbursement for the semester and exhausted all available Direct Loans for the school year.
  • Students must work with a counselor or advisor when applying.

Emergency Grant Application

Itasca Community College Foundation

The Itasca Community College Foundation has limited emergency funding available to students.

  • Students must meet with their counselor or advisor to see if your need meets requirements to apply.

Grand Rapids Area Community Foundation

The Grand Rapids Area Community Foundation has numerous crisis funds available to people experiencing crisis situations who need funding for certain expenses.

  • The funds are available to people in the greater Itasca area.
  • To see if you qualify, contact First Call for Help by dialing 218-326-8565 and asking about the sharing fund, or work with your counselor or advisor at ICC.

Technology/Internet Access

Itasca Community College IT Services

Limited IT Services are available in the McMahon Student Center.

KOOTASCA’s PCs for People

KOOTASCA’s PCs for People program creates new opportunities by providing affordable personal computers to low-income individuals and families.

  • To receive computer equipment from PCs for People, a potential recipient must be below the 200% poverty level or be currently enrolled in an income-based government assistance program.
  • Desktop computers are available for $75-$100, and laptop computers from $100-$150.Website:
For more info, contact Michelle Toven at 218-999-5883 or

Mental Health Resources

First Call for Help

First Call for Help of Itasca County is a private, nonprofit community organization whose mission is to provide free, confidential and nonjudgmental crisis intervention, active listening, and information and referral services 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to the residents and agencies of North Central Minnesota.

Dial 211, or 218-326-8565.

Itasca County Crisis Response Team 24/7 Crisis Hot Line

Itasca County Crisis Response Team 24/7 Crisis Hot Line - Dedicated To Helping You - Call 211

Professionals working on the Crisis Response Team hope to help people cope and, if necessary, help people connect with a therapist for ongoing assistance. Team members are available to talk with callers face-to-face or on the telephone. We will assist if a person is feeling suicidal, having difficulty with medications, experiencing behavioral problems, contemplating psychiatric hospitalization, or experiencing other emotional problems. Calls from friends and family members of these people are also common. The team is accessed through First Call 211. Trained staff and volunteers man these phone lines 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Minnesota Warmline

Looking for support? Need to talk? The Minnesota Warmline is safe, anonymous, confidential, free, and here to help you when you need it. Calls are answered by our team of professionally trained Certified Peer Specialists, who have first hand experience living with a mental health condition.

Open Monday-Saturday, 12 PM to 10 PM 651.288.0400 | Toll Free 855-WARMLINE or 877.404.3190 or text “Support” to 85511

National Suicide Prevention Hotline

National Suicide Prevention Hotline:1-800-273-8255

Crisis Text Line

Crisis Text Line

  • Text HOME to 741741 from anywhere in the United States, anytime.
  • Crisis Text Line is here for any crisis.
  • A live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds, all from our secure online platform.

Counseling Resources & Providers

The following is a list of counseling agencies in the Grand Rapids area. This list is not all encompassing and does not guarantee that providers have immediate openings. There are a number of individual providers in the area as well. Please see for a more comprehensive list, or call First Call for Help at 218-326-8565.

Health Care

Protective Services

Support within Reach

Support within Reach (Sexual assault advocacy) | | 218-326-5008 | 1-866-747-5008

Advocates for Family Peace

Advocates for Family Peace (domestic violence resource) | | 218-326-0388