Transfer Credit Policies

The Student Services staff at ICC is an excellent resource for transfer information. Students who would like information about transferring credits to Itasca or to another college or university should call 218-322-2320 or 218-322-2430 to make an appointment to meet with a counselor or an adviser.

Transfer of Credits to Itasca Community College

College level credits and courses completed at other colleges, universities or institutions are evaluated for transfer to Itasca Community College based on official transcripts received from institutions you previously attended. ICC determines which credits will transfer after careful review of course information.

ICC follows the Minnesota State policy 3.21 on undergraduate course credit transfer.

Transfer of credit will be considered for college level coursework completed at accredited institutions:

  • Regionally Accredited: Degree-granting public, private, nonprofit and for-profit, two-and four-year institutions in the United States conferred by the Higher Learning Commission (a Commission of North Central Association of Colleges and Schools) and/or parallel accrediting agencies in other regions of the United States.
  • Non-Regionally Accredited: Specialized institutions, including distance learning providers and freestanding professional schools recognized by the Council of Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). Coursework will be considered on course-by-course basis through a petition process and will be judged to be comparable or equivalent to courses offered at Itasca Community College.

Course Transfer Evaluation

Courses will be considered for transfer after they have been evaluated by ICC's transfer specialist.

  • Coursework completed at Minnesota State institutions that fulfills the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC) will be accepted at Itasca Community College based on the completion of the MnTC at the originating college or university.
  • Coursework completed at accredited institutions outside the Minnesota State system will be evaluated against equivalent coursework at Itasca Community College.
  • ICC will accept a maximum of 16 semester credit of college-level vocational or technical courses offered by technical colleges with regional accreditation. In addition ICC will consider the transfer of vocational technical credits from technical colleges for those courses which are judged to be comparable or equivalent to course offered at the college.

Aspects affecting transfer evaluation may include the time lapse of the course work, the equivalency of the coursework, and the technical and general education content of the courses. Students are encouraged to contact the Student Services Office 218-322-2320 should they have any questions regarding the evaluation of transfer credits

International Credit Transfer Evaluation

Itasca Community College does award transfer credit for international credit earned at eligible colleges and universities outside of the United States. If you have attended a college or university outside of the United States, you will need to obtain an International Credential Evaluation by contacting one of these International Credential Evaluation Services. These organizations will examine your transcript and prepare a report that will help us understand how your international coursework compares to courses at Itasca Community College. Itasca Community College will accept evaluations performed by any of these agencies; however, you may want to contact more than one of them to compare costs and processing time. It is important that we appropriately grant you credit for your previous studies and this type of evaluation will allow us to do just that.

The following checklist will help you to complete this process:

  1. Determine which service you would like to use from the list provided.
  2. Complete their required application form.
  3. Request a Subject Analysis. If the evaluating agency cannot produce a Subject Analysis, it is expected that the student furnish original course descriptions and/or syllabi for any courses they would like evaluated. If a student cannot obtain either of these, the course will be transferred in as elective credits.
  4. Request that your evaluation be sent to:

    Itasca Community College
    Student Services: Registrar
    1851 E Hwy 169
    Grand Rapids MN 55744

Transfer Rights and Responsibilities

To learn about your rights and responsibilities as a student related to transfer of credit, please see the Minnesota State Board Policy 3.39.

Appeal Process for Course Transfer Decisions

If a students does not agree with the outcome of the course transfer evaluation, a student petition form may be submitted to the Dean of Academic Affairs and Student Services. Students should supply supplemental information needed for review, including a course outline, a syllabus, and the course description. The Dean will confer with the discipline faculty and/or program coordinator. Once a decision is reached, the student will receive the outcome of the petition. If the student is not satisfied with ICC's appeal decision, the student may submit a Minnesota State system level appeal form, as explained in Minnesota State Board Policy, Procedure 3.21.1.

Students planning to continue their studies through transfer to a two or four-year college or university are strongly encouraged to plan with their counselors or advisors when selecting classes.

More Information

For more information about credit transfer at Minnesota State institutions, contact a transfer specialist.