The outlook for employment in the fields of Geography and Geographic Information Systems is excellent.
It’s no secret that having GIS skill significantly enhances your employment prospects and long-term career opportunities. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics research shows that many fields directly within and/or related to GIS will be expanding rapidly over the next decade—take a look at these expected growth rates!
- Cartography and Remote Sensing - 20% increase
- Geographers, GIS Technicians—29%
Keep in mind that employment where GIS skill is utilized spans a very wide range of settings not limited to urban/regional planning, transportation, agriculture, business, environment and natural resources, wildland fire, archeology, law enforcement, disaster response, health/human services, utilities and more!
Job Posting Sites
There are quite a number of sites that you can research to help see the range of jobs that come available within a career. Here a just a few leads…
- Planners (Community, City, Regional): https://www.planning.org/jobs/search/ (TIP: Enter GIS as the key word and take a look!)
- Federal Government: https://www.usajobs.gov/
- GeoJobs: http://geojobs.biz/
- My GIS: http://www.mygisjobs.com/
- GIS Jobs: http://www.gisjobs.com/
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse: http://www.gjc.org/
- Zip Recruiter: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/Jobs/gis