» Get Involved
» Athletics Hall of Fame
Athletics Hall of Fame
Itasca Community College will induct five individuals into the ICC Sports Hall of Fame on Thursday, August 25, 2016. The event will be the second induction ceremony for the newly established Hall of Fame. Last year’s inaugural induction was sold out, and the Planning Committee anticipates that this year’s event will also be very well supported. The college honors individuals and teams who have exhibited athletic excellence and have represented ICC well after their athletic careers were completed.
2016 Hall of Fame Inductees Include:
- Dan Dilworth - coached ISJC to the 1972 MJCAA Conference Title, 1972 State Championship, and 1972 National Tournament Championship with an overall record of 21-2.
- Dr. Micheal Rybak - coach of the 1995 NJCAA National Title team; coached 36 NJCAA All-Americans; named Minnesota Community College Coach of the Year five times; named NJCAA Wrestling Man of the Year in 1992.
- Howard Conrad - outstanding basketball and track athlete at Itasca Junior College; continued coaching career in basketball and baseball in Michigan and Florida. He was also named Teacher of the Year at Lake Weir High School.
- Lisa (Bodway) Neururer - outstanding volleyball and basketball athlete; 1982-83 Minnesota Community College Conference (MCCC) All-Division team in volleyball; 1983-84 MCCC All-Division team in basketball; continued coaching volleyball and basketball in youth leagues.
- Eric Rysdam - 1998 Pine City High School graduate who attended ICC and earned NJCAA All-American honors in baseball 1999-2000; received athletic scholarship to University of Nebraska-Omaha.
“We are proud to honor the outstanding accomplishments of our athletes while at Itasca Community College and their accomplishments after a successful experience at ICC,” said Justin Lamppa, chair of the Itasca Sports Hall of Fame committee. The event will take place at the Grand Rapids Eagles Club on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2016, with a social hour from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m., dinner 5:30 to 6:00 p.m., and presentations beginning at 6:15p.m. Individual inductees are expected to be in attendance except for Dan Dilworth who has passed away. Many members of Coach Dilworth’s team are expected to be in attendance. Cost to attend the event is $20 in advance or $25 at the door. To make a reservation or for more information about the Itasca Hall of Fame, contact Justin Lamppa at Justin.Lamppa@itascacc.edu or by calling 218-259-0609. Please make reservations if possible by Tuesday, August 23. Checks can be made payable to ICC Hall of Fame and mailed to: Justin Lamppa, Itasca Community College, 1851 E. Hwy. 169, Grand Rapids, MN 55744.
2015 Inaugural Hall of Fame Class
- 1956 Men’s basketball team who played in the National Tournament - a first for ICC
- 1995 Wrestling team who won the NJCAA National Championship
- Will Backes - long-time coach and administrator who started several sports and the women’s athletic program at ICC
- Jim Gabrielsen - coached several sports and was athletic director for many years
- Kathie Allen – athletic director and first coach in the women’s athletic program and is considered the pioneer of women’s athletics at ICC
- Ray Tomberlin - Outstanding football, basketball, and wrestler at ICC and went on to coach and teach at Greenway High School for many years
- Gary Warren - goalie on 1972 NJCAA national championship hockey team and named All-American
- Katie McBride - led Viking fast-pitch team to national tournament and named All-American
- Chris Miller - Earned All-American honors by becoming the heavyweight NJCAA national champion