Home » Academics » Catalog » Admissions Policies » Transfer Information

Transfer Information

Minnesota’s public colleges and universities are working to make transfer easier. Students can help by planning ahead, asking questions and using pathways created by transfer agreements.

Some of the services and policies that will make it easier to plan progress and prevent loss of time and credits are:

  • The creation of the website mntransfer.org, an online tool assisting students with a wide range of transfer needs

  • Help from the campus transfer specialist (See the Student Services office for ICC’s transfer specialist)

  • Written Intersystem Agreements for:

    transfer of general education or the Associate in Arts degree

    early application/admission to a four year college or university

    courses to take for transfer in key areas such as Engineering, Nursing, and Forestry

  • Clearly stated criteria for admission to the major/institution selected

  • Clear policies stating what kinds of courses a college or university will accept for transfer

  • A transfer appeals process on every campus

 Facts About Transfer of Credits

The receiving college or university decides what credits transfer and whether those credits meet its degree requirements. The accreditation of both the originating and receiving institutions can affect the transfer of credits a student earns.

Based on an evaluation, institutions accept credits from courses and programs like those they offer. They look for similarity in course goals, content, and level.

Not everything that transfers will help a student graduate. Baccalaureate degree programs usually count credits in three categories: general education, major/minor courses and prerequisites, and electives. The key question is, “Will the student’s credits fulfill requirements of the degree or program chosen?”

A student changing a career goal or major might not be able to complete all degree requirements within the usual number of graduation credits.

Preparing for Transfer

A student currently enrolled in a college or university should:

  • Tell the campus transfer specialist about education plans. Find out who can help select courses that will transfer.

  • Visit the college’s website, visit the intended transfer college, and pick up a college catalog and a transfer brochure.

  • Call the intended transfer college. Find out the admissions criteria for the institution/major. Request transfer application materials. Find out what materials (e.g., portfolio, transcripts, test scores) may be required for admission. Ask whether there is a deadline for all materials to be submitted. If information about financial aid is needed, find out how to apply and by what date.

  • Make an appointment to talk with an advisor/counselor in the college or intended program. Ask about course transfer and admission criteria. Prepare for this meeting by reading catalog information about the specific major or area of interest.

Students who have been out of college for awhile should meet with an admissions officer at the intended transfer college to plan the necessary steps.

Applying for Transfer Admission

A student should follow these steps when applying for transfer admission:

  • Application for admission is always the first step in transferring. Fill out the application online or by mail as early as possible prior to the deadline. Send or enclose the application fee.

  • Request that official transcripts be sent from every institution attended. Students may be required to provide a high school transcript or GED test scores as well. These transcripts must be sent from one institution to another, not to the student.

  • Recheck to be certain the college or university is supplied with all the necessary paperwork. Most colleges make no decisions until all required documents are in the student’s files.

  • Students who have heard nothing from the intended college of transfer after one month should call to check on the status of the application.

  • After notification of acceptance for admission to the college, student credits will be evaluated for transfer. At a minimum, a written evaluation should explain which courses transfer and which do not. How courses specifically meet degree requirements may not be decided until the student arrives for orientation or has chosen a major. For questions about the evaluation, call the Office of Admissions and ask to speak with a credit evaluator. Ask why judgments were made about specific courses. Many concerns can be cleared up if the student understands why decisions were made; if not satisfied, an appeal can be made. See “Rights as a Transfer Student,” which follows.

Rights as a Transfer Student

Transfer students are entitled to:

  • A clear, understandable statement of an institution’s transfer policy

  • A fair credit review and an explanation of why credits were or were not accepted

  • A copy of the formal appeals process. The usual appeal steps are:

    –The student fills out an appeals form. Supplemental information (syllabus or course description) can help.

    –A department or committee will review

    –The student receives, in writing, the outcome of the appeal.

    –The student can appeal the decision to the college dean or other person in authority.

  • A review of eligibility for financial aid or scholarships

For help with transfer questions or problems, see a transfer specialist on campus.

Credit Transfer Guarantee

Itasca Community College guarantees to those students completing an AA degree and Minnesota Transfer Curriculum the transfer of credits to any four year college or university within the Minnesota State College and Universities system (Bemidji, Mankato, Moorhead, St. Cloud, Metropolitan, Southwest and Winona).

Credit transfer is also guaranteed for courses included on transfer guidesheets and manuals found in Itasca’s Counseling and Career Center. This includes the University of Minnesota (Minneapolis, St. Paul, Duluth, and Crookston campuses) for the College of Agriculture, Biological Science, Education, Liberal Arts, Carlson School of Management and the Institute of Technology. Other schools included in this guarantee (for a variety of programs) are North Dakota State University, University of North Dakota, The College of St. Scholastica, Northwestern College and the University of Wisconsin (La Crosse, Stout, and Stevens Point).

All courses at Itasca numbered below 1000 (i.e. Math 0091, Math 0092; Reading 0092; and Engl 0091) are remedial courses, and although these courses will count for purposes of financial aid and athletic