Home » Academics » Catalog » Admissions Policies » Residency and Reciprocity

Residency and Reciprocity

Domicile: A person’s true fixed and permanent living place. It is the place to which a person intends to return after temporary absences. A person may have only ONE domicile at a time.


Determination of In-State Tuition

Subpart A. Statute. Students shall be eligible to pay in-state tuition if they meet the criteria of M.S.135A.031,subd.2.

Subpart B. Demonstrating domicile. Students may establish eligibility for in-state tuition by demonstrating domicile in Minnesota before the beginning of any semester or quarter. Students have the burden of proving domicile for purposes of in-state tuition.


 To qualify for in-state tuition students must meet the following requirements:

  • Students must have resided in Minnesota for at least one calendar year immediately prior to applying for in-state tuition.

  • Residence in Minnesota must not be merely for the purpose of attending a college or university.

 Each of the following additional circumstances are considered when responding to a petition for in-state tuition. No one of these factors is either necessary or sufficient to support a claim for in-state tuition.

  • Continuous presence in Minnesota during period when not enrolled as a student.

  • Sources for financial support are generated within Minnesota.

  • Domicile in Minnesota of family, guardian, or other relatives or persons legally responsible for a student.


The following circumstances, standing alone, shall not constitute sufficient evidence of domicile to affect eligibility for in-state tuition under these regulations but may be considered as part of the demonstration of the facts and circumstances listed above.

  • Voting or registration for voting

  • The lease of living quarters

  • A statement of intention to acquire a domicile in Minnesota

  • Domicile of student’s spouse in Minnesota

  • Automobile registration

  • Other public records, e.g. birth and marriage records


Subpart C. Exceptions. Individuals in the following categories shall qualify for in-state tuition rates:

  • Graduate students appointed to graduate assistant positions.

  • Students who qualify under a Board-approved agreement between a governmental and subdivision and a college or university.

  • Colleges and universities may adopt a policy to exempt high ability students who are in the top 15 percent of their high school class or who score above the 85th percentile on a nationally-normed, standardized achievement test and who reside in states that do not have reciprocity agreements with Minnesota.

  • Students who qualify under a college or university affirmative action program consistent with law and approved by the Chancellor or designee.

  • Non-immigrant Japanese students who have completed a program of study of at least one academic year at the Akita campus and have been recommended by the provost for transfer to a Minnesota state college or university and who retain their legal visa status.

  • Students who are recognized as refugees by the Office of Refugee Resettlement of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

  • Colleges and universities may adopt a policy to exempt non-immigrant international students classified under 8.,U.S.C.1101(a) (15)(B), (C), (D), (F), (J), and (M).


Reciprocity with Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska

Under the Minnesota-Wisconsin/Minnesota-North Dakota/Minnesota-South Dakota Public Higher Education Reciprocity Agreements, students from Wisconsin, North Dakota or South Dakota may attend Itasca Community College at a reciprocity tuition rate. The appropriate higher education council in each state establishes rates annually and Itasca Community College is notified accordingly. Wisconsin, North Dakota or South Dakota residents must apply for reciprocity tuition rates by submitting a tuition reciprocity application to their respective coordinating councils for higher education. Applications may be found at the links below:


The Midwest Student Exchange Program (MSEP) is an interstate initiative established by the Midwestern Higher Education Commission (MHEC) to increase educational opportunities for students in its member states. This program enables residents from Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Wisconsin to enroll in designated institutions and programs at reduced tuition levels outside their home state. Actual savings through the program will vary from institution to institution. To apply for admission as an MSEP student, contact the office of admissions of the participating MSEP institution directly. Mark prominently on the institution’s application form that admission is sought as an MSEP student. Special restrictions on enrollment may apply. Residents of states participating in MSEP may enroll in programs in other participating states only at the level at which their home state admits students. The institution makes all of the enrollment and eligibility decisions for the program.


 Advanced Standing

Itasca Community College grants college credit and/or advanced placement for the successful mastery of material contained in courses completed at the high school level when those courses are equivalent to college courses. Itasca will evaluate student records for the Advanced Placement (AP) Program, the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program, and the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). More information on these programs is available in the Academic and Instructional Information section of the catalog.

Credit granted through AP, IB, and CLEP programs may be used for partial fulfillment of the general education distribution requirements for the AA, AS, and AAS degrees. A maximum of 24 credits obtained through advanced standing testing may be applied toward one of Itasca’s degree programs. Students intending to transfer to other institutions should be aware that the receiving institution determines the acceptability of AP, IB, and CLEP credits; these institutions may have different regulations from those of Itasca Community College. At the time of transfer, students will be required to send official AP, IB and CLEP transcripts to the receiving institution. Itasca Community College does not send or forward these academic records.

Some options in technical programs are also available for test out. Contact the college’s counseling staff for more information about advanced standing.